Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCart v3.0 impressions
For those of you following the main branch of OpenCart, here is a little thread to give your opinion on the latest v3.0 release.

What are your personal views about Bootstrap and Twig?

Your general user/developer experience?
OpenCart Overclocked Edition Lead developer
I have stopped any further port of my extensions to OC3.0
Due to the restrictions imposed by their cloud, some need to be deep modified / rewritten with new tables and events.
I also look at the bug reports of their forum which grows exponentialy, more than 2.0.
In fact merchants who have a stable running shop (1.5 or 2.3) will not touch it before a long time and will not re-buy modules.
I dont see any interest in 3.0 as it is (25% slower at less with Twig).
I don't touch Opencart 2 or 3.  Always seems that just when it might settle down, someone there pulls another rabbit out of the hat.  New shiny toy but bugged to hell.  I want something that is stable and works - not interested in excitement :-)
On the OC forum, "thekrotek" says:
Quote:In my opinion, OC 3.0 shouldn't even exist. It's the same as 2.0, but completely broken, has stupid Twig, which nobody likes, besides the main developer, and basically pulls OC project down like an anchor. It should be put to the ground and forgotten as soon as possible.
Think they have taken a non professionnal way for supporting their customers base.
These are merchants that want something that works and make sales.
If they earn money, then alll developpers will follow too.
For the moment, they go direct in a wall but should take some time.
(11-06-2017, 01:27 AM)gob33 Wrote: On the OC forum, "thekrotek" says:
Quote:In my opinion, OC 3.0 shouldn't even exist. It's the same as 2.0, but completely broken, has stupid Twig, which nobody likes, besides the main developer, and basically pulls OC project down like an anchor. It should be put to the ground and forgotten as soon as possible.
Think they have taken a non professionnal way for supporting their customers base.
These are merchants that want something that works and make sales.
If they earn money, then alll developpers will follow too.
For the moment, they go direct in a wall but should take some time.

I haven't looked at the OC website for months.  They totally screwed the forums with the new design AFAIAC. It is almost like the developers want everything to fail, because so many screw-ups just don't seem to be possible chance rather than design.  That's why I like OCE - good, dependable cart software that deserves a wider user base.
Xav Wrote:That's why I like OCE - good, dependable cart software that deserves a wider user base.

Amen to this!
However, the GitHub Repository could use some more activity.  Wink
Yeah ... sorry 'bout that. I am back coding now.

I needed a break at the end of last year to look back and decide where to go next with OCE.
I think I know now and it seems that more folks are showing an interest in the project too.

The next version will be v1.11.0  Smile 
I'll keep you posted ...
OpenCart Overclocked Edition Lead developer
I think the main goal of the project should now be STABILITY and PERFORMANCE.
Mainly fixes and optimisations, as the platform is already mature enough and has enough features to represent a complete shopping cart solution.

As for the next version, you should push a long beta before the final release, just to make sure everything is perfect, as v1.11.0 needs to be a GOLD release. Big Grin

Cheers!
Considering all the changes of the new Bootstrap 4, it will be very difficult for OC3.x to migrate without reworking the code again.
Code which is not stabilised.
There is also their new Twig update which is hardly comprehensible to developpers except to Symfomy dev Fabien Poetencier
With OC3.x they added complexity plus new bugs introduction just to follow the web movement.
The template engine makes an heavy external dependance.
The product becomes more for programmers than for merchants.
Merchants who migrate to 3.x like sheeps and run into new concrete programming problems.
I dont see how they could get out of that nasty spiral.
(07-11-2018, 10:47 AM)gob33 Wrote: The product becomes more for programmers than for merchants.
Merchants who migrate to 3.x like sheeps and run into new concrete programming problems.
I dont see how they could get out of that nasty spiral.

That's exactly the idea behind all of it.
It became a platform for developers to make money on.

Added complexity = more modules, more themes, more dev work => MORE MONEY  Wink