Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCart v3.0 impressions
Personnaly, my OC extensions sales have dropped a lot so that i dont rely on them any more for profit.
I dont know the real reason. Perhaps should i write for OC3.x I dislike ?

The OC marketplace has seen the prices increased, extensions multi-cloned and big vendors became prominence.
If devs would want to make profits, why they dont adapt their 1.5 extensions to OverCloked, it is so easy ?
Why they dont participate with OverClocked ? What they fear of ?
Something I dont understand.
(07-13-2018, 12:10 AM)gob33 Wrote: Personnaly, my OC extensions sales have dropped a lot so that i dont rely on them any more for profit.
I dont know the real reason. Perhaps should i write for OC3.x  I dislike ?

The OC marketplace has seen the prices increased, extensions multi-cloned and big vendors became prominence.
If devs would want to make profits, why they dont adapt their 1.5 extensions to OverCloked, it is so easy ?
Why they dont participate with OverClocked ? What they fear of ?
Something I dont understand.

Devs go where the users are.
More users = better chances of making money.

Even though OpenCart Overclocked is far more stable and easier to use, at the moment it lacks the user base.

Also, people tend to go for the latest and greatest, thinking that is the best option, that's why OC v3.x gets so much attention.

BTW, why aren't you selling your extensions here also?
A bigger marketplace will attract more users.  Wink
But i have put 2 extensions here but no sales. And it was easy to convert to Overcloked, takes little time for a dev.
You cant have users if you dont have a good set of extensions.
Like the chicken and egg, you must start by proposing extensions instead of waiting more users.
A good modules set attracts users.
OC Overclocked didn't attract many users until now, because versions pre 1.11.0 weren't polished enough.
It felt like it was a bloated OC 1.5.6.4.
But now, things have changed. Everything feels like it's more solid and unique.
And 99% of bugs are fixed.

So as soon as v1.11.1 is released, we need to start promoting it more on the official OC Forums.
I agree that irregularities chasing is important but this is transparent for a merchant who ignore SensioLabs or Codacy.
More important is to clearly display and promote the advantages and features you dont find in OC and that ease daily usage.

There are already some clones of OC 1.5 (Ernie's OC, Opencart Edge by Peku, Arastta, OcStore for Russia).
Like OverClocked, they have few users. I think improving the code is not sufficient to attract merchants.
100 must have extensions or a new major feature over OC could do the trick.
Hi guys, I have just released v1.11.1.

Regarding promoting it,
Yes, I think OCE is the richest, cleanest, fastest and the easiest of all OC versions.
Yes, I also think more extensions and translations are needed.

But ultimately what we need is a new name and a new portal to promote it.

I think the time has come to move away from OpenCart (and OpenBay) and make OCE our own.

I been thinking a lot recently about the best way forward and came-up with some concepts:

Concept 1:
Shopping Cart core (like now), strip down OpenBay and rename it. That's the easiest.

Concept 2:
CMS core with optional packages like "Shopping Cart", "Point of Sale (POS)", "Portal" or "Downloads", and rename it. Much more complicated but possible.

Which ever way we decide to go, I think we should aim at tablet users while keeping the code 100% self-contained (without online dependencies).

Let's open a new thread ...
OpenCart Overclocked Edition Lead developer
And change from GPL to OSL 3.0 like Prestashop, Magento.
The core in OSL permits to have extensions open or not.
In the latest OC 3.1, no more Summernote, they revert back to ckEditor !
jQuery v3.3.1 + a GDPR system planned, it becomes like OverClocked.
See OpenCart 3 vs OpenCart 2 in 2018: Should You Update?
OpenCart 3 is at a stand still. nothing is happening ...

Issues and PRs are not being dealt with at Github and the forum is slowly dying.
OC3 is still using Twig even when major contributors to the projects are flagging its redundancy and inefficiency.
It feels like no-one is listening ...
OpenCart Overclocked Edition Lead developer