Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Marketplace features
I am working on a new marketplace for NivoCart.

I'm giving myself about 6 to 8 weeks to complete it.

If you have any feature requests or suggestions do let them flow below.
I will do my best to implement them.
OpenCart Overclocked Edition Lead developer
A suggestion would be: don't ever integrate the Marketplace inside the Admin, like OpenCart, PrestaShop etc. did.

One of the reasons I liked OCE so much, was the fact that the shopping cart really felt like it was my own.
It gives you the impression that you can grow like Amazon and it's your cart and you can customize it as you please.

When you integrate an outside connection to it (like a marketplace), that feeling is gone.
It becomes like the saying "when a product is free, you are the product".
The whole system becomes a platform where developers can sell their stuff.
And also it opens a backdoor for bad things that may happen (hacking, slow loading times etc.).

So the new Marketplace should be something simple, much like the one we already have, as this wasn't the problem.
The problem was the lack of extensions available, mainly due to the name of the project (villagedefrance.net) which feels unprofessional and doesn't have anything in common with a shopping cart system.

Also, a new look for the main website/marketplace is needed.
Something that looks stunning and professional, maybe a theme based on Bootstrap.
Just look at these websites: 1, 2 - they make those shopping carts look like enterprise systems.
You can simply clone an OC marketplace extension for digital products like "Multi Vendor / DropShipper" for ex.
Any news?
Well, I'm working actively on the new MarketPlace.

There is a lot to do ... but I'm getting there.
The Admin side is almost ready and I am now working on the frontend.

The MarketPlace will use:
- jQuery 2.2.4
- InnoDB engine
- PHP 7.x+
- "Titillium Web" font will be the default font (woff, woff2, ttf and svg)

By testing these changes for the MarketPlace, I will save time later when implementing them to NivoCart v1.0.0.

So, yes, NivoCart will most likely run on jQuery v2.2.4, not 3.3.1, as it seems much faster and smoother in both Admin and Catalog, and does not require 2 jQuery Migrate.

The New NivoCart Forum will use the latest version of MyBB, currently v1.8.17 but a new version could become available later.

Help in designing a NivoCart logo would be appreciated.
So from my understanding, are you going to make NivoCart a fresh new release, not based on OpenCart Overclocked?

Also, for the front-end are you going to use any frameworks like Bootstrap or Bulma?
As for the actual coding, PSR-2 should be used - https://www.php-fig.org/psr/psr-2/

Now regarding the font, I would advise you not to use Titillium Web as it's very limited and there will be major issues when translating in languages that have diacritics: Ă ă Î î Ț ț etc.
I would use https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto or something similar.

And finally, if you indeed are rewriting the entire platform, a good idea would be to build it like THIS, as currently there's no open-source platform on the market, that supports both eCommerce and eBay-like Auctions (multi-seller/store, bid, buyout, ratings etc.).
It would gain instant success!  Big Grin
Suggestion:
It would be interesting to be able to promote the commission in order to attract OC 1.5 developers to port their extensions to OverClocked.
As for example no commission retained on the first 50 sales, or no commission during the first 6 months for a new extension, or a mini commission rate for new devs logged during 2 months.
(08-15-2018, 05:23 PM)gob33 Wrote: Suggestion:
It would be interesting to be able to promote the commission in order to attract OC 1.5 developers to port their extensions to OverClocked.
As for example no commission retained on the first 50 sales, or no commission during the first 6 months for a new extension, or a mini commission rate for new devs logged during 2 months.

Good idea!

I'm not really interested about making money initially, so this is a very good idea.
@tango

Great suggestions as always.

NivoCart will be based on Overclocked Edition but with many modifications, including:
- Removal of OpenBay Pro
- New Frontend template
- InnoDB by Default
- PHP 7.0 as minimum
- OSL v3.0 license
- other major changes

... therefore no more backward compatibility with old OC v1.5.6.

So it will be like a fresh new release.

I'm not planning on using any framework. If theme and extension developers want to do that, that's fine, but the core will remain pure Html5, CSS3.
As for the coding standards, the current one will remain for now.

I like the idea of Auctions but it is even more work, so maybe later. I have to admit that it would be great.

For the Font, I'm going to use "roboto-v18-cyrillic_greek_latin" as suggested. Thanks.

I'm still looking for a good logo for NivoCart ...

Thank you and keep the suggestions coming.
*** MARKETPLACE UPDATE ***

I am almost done with the new Marketplace Smile 

A lot of work was needed because it has to be future proof, so not only it features most of today's requirements, but also integrates extra features trying to anticipate the years to come.

Once I am happy with it (very soon hopefully), I will make a start on NivoCart itself.
... and then, as soon as I've got a decent Alpha Release, I will publish it on Github so community testing can begin. I hope to be there by the end of September.

Thank you for your patience.